Sunday, May 11, 2014

Pineapple Soda


Pineapple Soda is, most basically, a pineapple-flavored soda/carbonated drink. I discovered the world of fruit flavored soda, or any soda that isn't mainstream to be exact, when one fast food chain here in the Philippines offered Watermelon Soda. It was delicious and at that exact moment I envisioned myself making other flavors of soda, my own custom flavors, where I can control whatever ingredients are used to make it.

But that didn't happen then and there, because I was just a kid then. I have no knowledge of how soda is made. Jumping a couple of years forward, I found carbonated water at a local grocery store. Plain unflavored carbonated water. I instantly thought, "Can I use this to make my own soda?". I searched the web for enlightenment and there was it. Carbonated water can be used to make homemade soda. And the rest is history.

I chose pineapple for my first soda because first, it is my favorite fruit, and second, it will be great for summer. You can use store-bought or homemade seltzer/carbonated water if you have a carbonating machine at home. I just used bottled carbonated water. And you can use any other fruit juices instead of pineapple juice, just adjust according to sugar content.


P.S. "Fizzy" note is invented just for this, to refer to that mouth-tickling flavor. Watch out as I'll try to use this note in other recipes.

Pineapple Soda
Notes [ HEART: Fizzy, Pineapple ]

Ingredients [makes about 4 glasses]
seltzer/carbonated water
 

pineapple syrup:
2 c. pineapple juice
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
 

Directions
1. MAKE SYRUP: Combine both ingredients in a saucepan, then simmer in medium heat until syrup is reduced to 1/3 of original amount, or about 3/4 cup. Let cool.
2. MAKE SODA: Pour 3 tablespoon of pineapple syrup in a glass. Add enough seltzer/carbonated water to make one glass. Mix gently then add ice. Serve and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment