Sunday, August 18, 2013

Japanese Cheesecake Cupcakes


I already made these a very long time ago, I think it was a little over a year. This was the second cupcake I have made for this blog when it was "Musical Cupcakes". These are japanese cotton soft cheesecake cupcakes with whipped cream frosting and blueberry glaze.

I actually started blogging last year, around June of 2012. The first thing that I ever baked for the blog was a Black Forest Cupcake, which I recreated so that I can delete the old post. I only ever baked 2 cupcakes during the "Musical Cupcakes" period, and my photography sucks then.

On February 2013, I decided I should relaunch my blog. I renamed it "Sir Cupcakes" and purchased a custom domain name. That's when I started being serious about blogging. I decided I should delete old posts, and replace them with something better.




This is my attempt to recreate my old japanese cheesecake cupcake post, which shall be deleted somewhen [is that a word? >_>] in the future. The original contains ice cream because it was an entry to an ice cream cupcake contest, but I will omit that part for now. It was a blueberry cinnamon ice cream, and I wasn't a fan. But feel free to top this with your favorite blueberry ice cream.

Speaking of ice creams and cheesecakes, I made cheesecake ice cream and graham blueberry blondies in the past. This was supposed to be a follow up post. I tend to follow the "inspiration then cupcake" pattern. Anyway, check them out.

Last note, those brown thing on the cupcakes are graham cracker crumbs. I added them because I somewhat thought it would look good, you be the judge.




Japanese Cheesecake Cupcake
Notes [ HEAD: Blueberry, HEART: Cream, BASE: Cream Cheese ]

Ingredients

Cupcakes [makes 28-32 mini cupcakes or 12 regular cupcakes, adapted from flouronhernose]
1/3 c. all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. white sugar
3 pcs. egg whites
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
4 oz. cream cheese [1/2 cup]
2 tbsp. butter [1/4 stick]
2 tbsp. heavy cream
3 pcs. egg yolks

Frosting
1 c. whipped cream
2 tbsp. sugar

Blueberry Topping
1/2 c. pureed blueberries
2 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. sugar

Directions
1. MAKE BATTER: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pan with liners. In your oven, place a tray that could fit your muffin pan. Boil some water.
2. In a saucepan, combine cream cheese, heavy cream and butter. Melt over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Let cool, then add egg yolks.
3. In a bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Then add to the cream cheese mixture.
4. In another bowl, add cream of tartar to the egg whites and whisk. Add the sugar a tablespoon at a time. Continue beating until medium peaks form. Fold into the cream cheese mixture.
5. BAKE CUPCAKES*: Fill liners with a tablespoonful of batter. Prepare a bain-marie setup be pouring the boiling water into the prepared tray in the oven about an inch deep. Place muffin pan into the prepared tray submerging the bottom and bake for about 20 minutes or until top is golden brown and it passes the toothpick test. Turn off oven, open the door a little, and let cupcake sit in there for about 10 minutes to prevent shrinkage. Cool cupcakes completely on a wire rack.
6. COOK BLUEBERRIES: Cook the blueberry puree, sugar and water in a saucepan on medium heat. Cook until sauce is thick and uniformly blue. Let cool.
7. MAKE FROSTING: Whip cream in a bowl, add sugar halfway. Whip until stiff peaks form.
8. ASSEMBLE CUPCAKES: Frost the cupcakes with the whipped cream icing and top with blueberry sauce. Sprinkle with crushed graham cracker if desired. Enjoy.

* FOR REGULAR CUPCAKES: Fill liners 2/3 full. Bake for about 25 minutes or until top is golden brown and passes the toothpick test. Cool on wire rack.

What should I do next? Comment below.

2 comments:

  1. dear sircupcake, can i please know what to do with the remaining mixture while waiting for my cupcakes to bake if my oven cant fit all the cupcake at once? by the way, I'm using toaster oven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could store the remaining batter in the fridge while waiting for the others to bake.

      Delete