Saturday, August 31, 2013

Blackberry Crumble Cupcakes


I love fruits. I love shortbreads. I also love cupcakes. So, combine the all of those and I will be very happy. These are graham and blackberry cupcakes with whipped cream frosting and a blackberry shortbread. Add tea and I'll be in heaven.

Shortbreads and tea is so English. There is something so posh about the UK and all their fancy afternoon teas and whatnot. I love their accents and everything. I have recently been on a Doctor Who-marathon and I would say it was brilliant, if not the most brilliant television series ever. Perhaps I would go to the UK when I have the chance in the future.


These cupcakes are baked with a blackberry center and they would be perfect with tea. And as you can see, my photography is slightly improving as time goes by. I think. You decide!


Blueberry Crumble Cupcake
Notes [ HEAD: Blueberry, HEART: Cream, BASE: Cream Cheese ]

Ingredients

Cupcakes [makes 18-20 mini cupcakes or 6 regular cupcakes]
1/4 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. crushed graham grahams
3/4 tsp. baking powder
dash of salt
1/4 c. butter, room temperature [1/2 stick]
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1/2 vanilla extract
1/4 c. milk

Frosting
1/2 c. whipping cream
2 tbsp. sugar

about 2 dozen blackberry shortbreads

Blackberry Sauce
1/4 c. blackberry puree
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. sugar 

Directions
1. MAKE BLACKBERRY SAUCE: In a saucepan, cook blackberry puree, lemon juice, and sugar in medium heat until mixture is thick. Let cool.
2. MAKE BATTER: Preheat oven to 375°F. Line cupcake pan with liners. 
3. Sift flour, crushed graham crackers, baking powder, and salt into a bowl.
4. Beat butter in a bowl until soft and fluffy. Add sugar, egg, and vanilla extract and mix well.
5. Add half of the flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, beat then add remaining flour mixture.
6. BAKE CUPCAKES*: Fill liners with a tablespoon of batter and fill center with about 1/2 teaspoon of blackberry sauce. Bake for about 12 minutes, do toothpick test. If they are not done, check at 1 minute intervals. Cool on wire rack.
7. MAKE FROSTING: Whip cream in a bowl, add sugar halfway. Then whip until stiff peaks form.
8. ASSEMBLE CUPCAKES: Frost the cupcakes. Top with a blackberry shortbread if desired, top with a small swirl of whipped cream for garnish. Serve and enjoy.

* FOR REGULAR CUPCAKES: Fill liners 2/3 full and fill center with about 2 teaspoon of blackberry sauce. Bake for about 18 minutes, do toothpick test. If they are not done, check at 1 minute intervals. Cool on wire rack.

2 comments:

  1. These look DELICIOUS and I love that I actually have everything on hand to make them :) And ps-I am a photographer and think your pictures are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I can say that these are really delicious and can't wait to hear from you when you try them.

      Delete